Naptime Journal

As you lay in your beds with eyes closed, dreaming
Perfection in its still form
I'm wondering what you're dreaming.
As I stare at your peaceful faces
Your mouths open-plump little lips
With lashes that seem to never end
I can't help but to stare at your beauty.
Oh, what I wouldn't do for you?
What lengths would I not go to?
Just to see your smiles,
Just to hear your laughter.
I would give my last breath
If it meant keeping you safe
Without blinking, without a second thought.

As I tiptoe down the squeaky stairs
Trying so hard not to wake your darling eyes
I feel a peace wrap around me.
Ahhh, nap time.
As I walk into the bathroom
I can't help but smile
As I'm reminded of your sweet desire to please mommy
When I look down and see you've peed in your little potty.
Little things scattered all around in our quiet home,
They remind me of how alive you are
How wonderful you are.
I grab my cup of coffee and sit on the couch
Hoping to have some calm alone time.
As I sit down, I see your small toys you've left on the couch.
No, I'm not mad to put them away
They make me smile
They make me think of you.
Oh, how I adore you.

Then there's you.
Sweet, Happy, Joyful little you.
I never thought I could love anyone like I loved your brother
Oh how I was wrong.
When I see you stirring in your bassinet
A feeling of excitement comes creeping in
"He's awake!" it whispers.
There's nothing like your smile when you first wake up
Your face as it beams up at me
Your arms as they reach upward for me
And my arms, as they long to embrace your sweet little self.
You nuzzle your head into my neck
Then you pull away and beam up at me with your big brown eyes.
A toothless grin, of course, always accompanying them.
You, my dear, are a gift.
You are perfection.

This morning, I am grateful
I am thankful
I am blessed
I am loved
Not only by these darlings
But judging by the blessings I'm given
I am loved by God.
How do I overlook His love?
How do I not see His gifts?
I am in love, and I am loved.
What more could I need?


Comments

Popular Posts